There’s many ways to kick off your reception Selfie Mirror style, but our favorite is to have a bangin’ cocktail hour. We’re going to give you the ins and outs of a cocktail hour that gets you for lack of a better term…chocolate wasted.
- Boozy Popsicles
- Popsicles have a nostalgic feel to them. It gives you those coming in after a hot summer afternoon vibes. Why not give your guests that nostalgia with an adult twist! These are sure to get your guest talking.
- Adult Lemonade Stand
- While we’re on the subject of nostalgia, how freaking fun would it be to have a lemonade stand serving spiked lemonade. Depending on your budget, you could build the whole stand, or just serve the drink. Either way if you decide to add this you definitely won’t be a regular mom…you’ll be a cool mom!
- Dedicate Your Drinks to Your Pets
- Who doesn’t love Fluffy and Spot. After all, they’re a part of the family too so why not include them in your big day?! Your guests will absolutely love this personal touch and like your pets, it will make them feel all warm and fuzzy!
- Don’t Forget about the Kiddos
- One thing that we see often at receptions is that kids are often forgotten during the cocktail hour. Make sure to include kid-friendly food and drinks and don’t be afraid to make them fun! If you are having an adult only reception, make sure that you have a few non-alcoholic options for those who choose not to drink.
Cocktail hour isn’t all about the eating and drinking though! I mean let’s be real, who wants to stand around and make small talk with strangers…amirite? Including entertainment or games is a dope way to keep your guests engaged.
- Lawn Games
- Giant chess boards, croquet and cornhole are all rad ways to get the party started. Guests love to get involved and lawn games are a sweet way to achieve that.
- Transitions can be Fun
- The party don’t start till you walk in! A definite transition between cocktail hour and the reception is good because it lets your guests know it’s time to find their seats, but it doesn’t mean it has to be boring! Ushers to guide people to their seat, dancers to lead the way or heck even a marching band! Make it personal to you, but make the transition known. You’ll thank us later.
- Artists can be a super unique and fun addition to cocktail hour! Maybe a cartoonist to draw your guests, a violinist to walk around, or a painter to paint the room during cocktail hour that way you’ll have a memento to take home and remember the best day ever.
Whatever you decide to do, just remember that your guests are going to be stoked about all the work that you put into the cocktail hour for them. If you’re having fun planning the cocktail hour, chances are your guests are going to have a good time attending the cocktail hour. Don’t stress. You got this!